For those of you that do not know what intermittent fasting is, allow me to give you a brief explanation. Intermittent fasting, also known as “scheduled eating” is an extremely powerful way of eating that can result in the loss of excess fat. In simpler terms, it’s eating during a certain time frame of the day and fasting the rest of the time. For example, someone can eat within the time frame of 12:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m. and fast for 16 hours until the next day.
1. It maximizes fat loss- When we eat our bodies spend hours processing the food, burning what they can from what was consumed. This means that all this energy is readily available in our blood stream for our bodies to use. But with intermittent fasting, during the “fasted state” your body doesn’t have energy readily available and so our bodies are more likely to pull from the fat stores instead of the glucose in our bloodstream or the glycogen in the liver/muscles.
2. You don’t have to eat breakfast- I myself, am a huge fan of breakfast and I cannot go through the day without it. I do understand that there are plenty of people out there that don’t like to eat breakfast and that’s ok. With intermittent fasting you can choose your time window when you eat. For example, if you don’t like breakfast you could use the 16 hour program that I mentioned in the beginning of this post.
3. You don’t have to prep as much food as traditional diets- Diets containing 6 small meals throughout the day used to be the general consensus for past years. Anyone that has tried this type of diet knows the amount of food prep that goes into it. This can be extremely time consuming and just downright frustrating at times. With intermittent fasting you don’t eat anywhere near 6 meals because you are eating within a specific time window. This could not only save you plenty of time but it could also put a little extra cash in your pocket from not eating as much.
4. It increases insulin sensitivity and growth hormone secretion- Both of these are essential to promoting weight loss. With intermittent fasting increasing both of these, it turns your body into a fat burning and weight loss machine. This is also great for Type II diabetics because they lack insulin sensitivity.
5. Why not?- There are multiple trainers at this facility that have tried intermittent fasting before and support that it truly does work. Give intermittent fasting a try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain through this type of dieting. Turn your body into the fat burning machine it can be.
UNCC intern 2014